Friday 12 August 2011

Mallorca aka Little Germany

Hola from Cala d'Or on the island of Mallorca! What a change from Edinburgh! It is soooooo warm here! Over 30 degrees, but it feels much hotter than that. I can certainly tell I am on the Mediterranean again! When I got here I was really grateful to have a cell phone- that would be my best new travelling trip. Buy a cell phone wherever you are going. The phones and the minutes are cheap, and they can really come in handy. I knew my hotel had organized a transfer for me, since it is about 1.5 hours from the Palma airport. I called them to get the details and once it was sorted guess what I was greeted with? A BUS!!! haha, I couldn't believe it. I think it was even the same bus, just decorated in a Spanish way. The roads weren't as windy though, and I managed to feel great the whole drive.

My hotel was a little underwhelming, but I have my own balcony which really makes up for what the room lacks. It is simple, which is fine, since it is too hot to spend much time in it. The hotel also has a small pool, but there isn't much space so I think I will avoid it- today it seemed like people saved their places around 7 AM, much too early for me!

Today was my first full day here, and I ate breakfast at the hotel before making my way to the beach. It was nuts down there, sooooo many people, but the surroundings made up for it. I found a lounge chair and rented it and an umbrella for 7 euros. I enjoyed a few hours at the beach and in the salty sea before going to grab some lunch. I didn't bring anything of value with me since I didn't know what the set up was like and got bored pretty quickly. I bought a National Geographic (not much English selection) to keep me busy tomorrow.

I had a light lunch and went back to the hotel. Most of the shops here close between 2 and 5, so I had myself a little siesta! I then wandered around the town, looking at the shops and deciding what to have for dinner. It turns out that a lot of people from Germany come here, and that a lot of the Spanish people here speak German. I was not expecting that- almost all of the shops have signs in Spanish and German. I should have listened more all those times Matt was talking to me :)

I am now enjoying a nice breeze on my balcony, listening to the sounds of a busy town!


Palma Airport


My new morning hangout (except I came back later in the day to take this!)


One of what I am sure will be many self-photos!


Buenos Noches!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment